The Lundquist Institute for Biomedical Innovation is a 501(c)3 independent non-profit biomedical research organization that was founded in 1952. The Institute has over more than 120 principal investigators and 400 researchers in total — MD’s, MD/PhD’s, and PhD’s — working on over 1,000 research studies. We are academically affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and work in partnership with the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Our research is funded by many sources including: grants from the NIH and other government entities, Industry and teaching contracts and royalties, as well as private donors and other non-profit foundations.
by the Numbers
- 100+ internationally recognized research groups
- 600 ongoing research projects
- 150 grants from federal sources (NIH and DoD) support our researchers
- 500+ peer-reviewed articles in prestigious medical and scientific journals annually
- 200 patents and 15 new filings annually
- 14 companies spun off in the past 12 years to bring The Lundquist Institute discoveries to the bedside
JUST THE FACTS
- The Lundquist Institute is one of the foremost independent, non-profit research institutes in the U.S.
- You have likely benefited at some point in your life from innovations by The Lundquist Institute.
- We developed the training for (and coined the term) "Paramedics"
- The profession of Nurse Practitioner had its beginning on our campus
- We have generated new paradigms, diagnostics, therapies, and devices, in use all over the world.
- We take on the challenge of devising treatments for debilitating and fatal rare inherited diseases.