Andrew G Gianoukakis, MD
Investigator, The Lundquist Institute
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Program Director Endocrinology Fellowship Program, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Autoimmune thyroid disease, Thyroid dysfunction, Thyroid cancer
Research DescriptionDr. Gianoukakis is an expert in Thyroid Disorders with particular expertise in Advanced Thyroid Cancer and Graves’ disease including Thyroid Eye disease. Dr. Gianoukakis’ clinical research focuses on novel and cutting edge therapeutic clinical trials for Advanced Thyroid Cancer. In addition Dr. Gianoukakis is investigating the development of ‘liquid biospy’ for thyroid cancer diagnosis as well as the development of novel assays for thyroid and thyroid antibody testing. He directs the Thyroid Clinic and Thyroid Oncology Clinic at Harbor-UCLA where he also serves as Fellowship Training Program Director. He is a member of the International Thyroid Oncology Group (ITOG) and the Southern California Thyroid Cancer Consortium (SCThyCC) as well as a medical advisor to The Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association (ThyCa) and The Graves’ Disease and Thyroid Foundation (GDATF).
- MD, 1993, University of Patras, School of Health Sciences, Patras, Greece
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Gianoukakis A.G., Dutcus C.E., Batty N., Guo M, Baig M. Prolonged Duration of Response in Lenvatinib Responders with Thyroid Cancer. Endocrine-Related Cancer. 25: 699-704.
- Haider U., Richards P., Gianoukakis A.G. Thymic hyperplasia associated with Graves’ disease: Pathophysiology and Proposed Management Algorithm. Thyroid. 27(8):994-1000. 2017
- Yehuda M., Wang C.H., Pak Y., Chiu K.C., Gianoukakis A.G. Parity and Risk of Autoimmune Thyroid Disease based on the 2001-2002, 2007-2008, 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 NHANES. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.102 (9):3437-3442. 2017
- Haddad R.I.,Schlumberger M., Wirth L.J. Sherman E.J., Shah M.H., Robinson B., Dutcus C.E., Teng A, Gianoukakis A.G., Sherman S.I. Incidence and Timing of Common Adverse Events in Lenvatinib-treated Patients With Radioiodine-refractory Thyroid Cancer From the SELECT Trial. Endocrine Journal. 56 (1):121-128. 2017
- Gianoukakis A.G., Flores N.M., Pelletier C.L., Forsythe A., Wolfe G.R., Taylor M.H. Treatment patterns, health state, and healthcare resource utilization of patients with Radioactive Iodine Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Cancer Management and Research. 8; 67-76. 2016
- Schlumberger M, Tahara M, Wirth L.J., Robinson B, Brose M.S., Elisei R, Habra M.A., Newbold K, Shah M.H., Hoff A.O., Gianoukakis A.G., Kiyota N, Taylor MH, Kim SB, Krzyzanowska M.K., Dutcus C.E., de las Heras B, Zhu J, Sherman S.I. Lenvatinib versus placebo in radioiodine-refractory thyroid cancer. N Engl J Med. 12; 372(7):621-30. 2015
- Gianoukakis A.G. Thyroglobulin antibody status and differentiated thyroid cancer: What does it mean for prognosis and surveillance? Curr Opin Oncol. 27(1):26-32. 2015